As the week before spring break tends to go, it was a bit stressful. Joe and I had clashing schedules the weekend of writing the contract, which made it hard for us to meet up and collaborate in person. We ended up using out trusty Google Docs to share the document and edit it when we could. However, for this contract, it ended up being Joe who was the star of the show. We worked together to type up an intro, but after that, he was the one to come up with most of the first rough draft. From there, I was able to edit it and ensure that the wording was representative of what we wanted to say.
While writing this contract, I came to a couple realizations. First of all, unlike a typical contract of this nature, we did need to create a simplified version to either explain or to give in paper form to the interviewee. While our interviewees are able to speak conversational English, a contract like this is likely too advanced for them. We want to ensure that they understand fully what we are doing.
In addition, I am excited to use the tools that we hope to use, such as Timeline and VideoPro. Since we must still do some research, we are unsure what information exactly we will have on our website, making it hard to know exactly how we will use our tools and organize them well on our webpage. However, we are hoping to create a video intro for our page that describes what the project is. After watching countless documentary-like videos on YouTube and social media, I am very excited to create one with Joe. However, our main question is what are we going to put into it.
Finally, I should say something about what happened this past meeting at our community coordination meeting. We talked with a group called Enactus who is hoping to create an accessible community page to post dates and useful information regarding the immigrant community. As a result, the website we are creating will not serve as a community website in this aspect. However, we will still share it with community members at these community meetings. In addition, the previous group’s website and our website will be linked to the main webpage in order to inform the public on the academic and personal sides of the situation.
Most of our project right now is based on setting up the interviews once we get the website approved. Once we are able to do that and do a bit more research, I feel that we will gain more and more of an idea of what our website will look like. I know that the final dates are necessary to keep us on track, but at this point, I trust that Joe and I will make appropriate progress. I also feel that it is important to focus on the information more so than the deadline. As we do more and more research, I think we will also have a more realistic idea of how much we can do well in a given period of time. No matter what happens, I’ll keep you updated!